We offer a free recruitment service for employers looking to recruit an apprentice to make recruiting an apprentice an easy option. A dedicated consultant is your partner throughout the process and the will:
- Meet with you to discuss the vacancy you want to advertise, see what the role involves and identify a suitable apprenticeship framework.
- Create a job description so you’re clear on the duties you’ll be looking for an apprentice to carry out and what skills and training they ideally require.
- Write a job advert and promote your vacancy on the National Apprenticeship Service website, using our own website and social media channels and other carefully selected marketing channels.
- Search our database of people that we’re currently working with or have expressed an interest in doing an apprenticeship, to identify if any match your criteria
- Pre-interview suitable candidates who apply and submit suitable candidate CVs to you.
- Arrange your interviews with the candidates that make your short-list and follow up with you once the interviews have taken place.
Once you’ve recruited your apprentice, your dedicated trainer will meet with you to tailor and kick-start the apprenticeship training programme. The training we offer gives apprentices the skills and experience relevant to their career choice with you. It also covers skills such as teamwork, communication and problem solving.
Q&AAre there any changes to apprenticeships?
Yes! In 2014, the Government published the first new apprenticeship standards, which are replacing apprenticeship frameworks. These have been designed by employers for employers and they ensure that apprenticeships are even better placed to boost businesses’ success.
There are also changes to funding that are currently being introduced, including the new apprenticeship levy.
We can talk you through the changes so that you can understand how they apply to your business.How long does it take to complete an apprenticeship?
How long an apprenticeship takes to complete depends on the level of the apprenticeship, the ability of the apprentice and the industry sector. An intermediate Level 2 apprenticeship usually takes 12 to 18 months to complete, whereas an advanced Level 3 takes around 24 months.
Most intermediate apprenticeships (Level 2) take between 12-18 months to complete. Advanced apprenticeships (Level 3) usually take between 18-24 months and higher apprenticeships can take 2-4 years to complete.How does the apprenticeship levy affect my business?
Companies with a wage bill of more than £3 million are required to pay the apprenticeship levy, and some larger SMEs fall into this bracket.
So, what is the apprenticeship levy? It's a payment collected from large employers in the public and private sector and is paid to the HMRC via PAYE returns. Its purpose is to encourage employers to invest in apprenticeship programmes; recruiting new apprentices and boosting the skills of their existing workforce.
Looking to fund apprenticeship training? The apprenticeship levy paid by companies can be accessed by those same businesses to fund apprenticeship training within their company.
So, how much is the apprenticeship levy? The levy threshold is calculated by size of payroll. It’s 0.5% of a company’s payroll, with every employer receiving an allowance of £15,000 to offset against the amount they owe.
Businesses have been subject to the levy payment since April 2017 and it is payable each month.Are there different levels of apprenticeship?
There are different levels of apprenticeship:
- Intermediate apprenticeship Level 2 - apprentices gain the equivalent of five GCSEs at grades A-C
- Advanced apprenticeship Level 3 - apprentices gain the equivalent of two A-Levels.
- Higher apprentices Level 4-5 – apprentices gain the equivalent of a qualification such as a Foundation Degree.
- Degree-level apprenticeship Levels 6-7 – apprentices gain a degree-level qualification, helping to build
- the high-level technical skills needed for the jobs of the future
Looking for some financial support to allow you to take on an apprentice?
If you are under the threshold for the apprenticeship levy, you can apply for funding to cover the costs of an apprentice’s qualification and the amount you can get varies depending on their age.
We can talk to you in more detail about financial support and the changes to how apprenticeships are funded. Please give us a call or drop into one of our learning centres.Read More Q&A