2019 Armed Forces day this year will be held on Sunday 29th June along the foreshore road in Scarborough.
We will be exhibiting at this years Armed Forces Day along the foreshore road, this will be a fun-packed day with lots to see and do for all ages.
We will be there with some of our current Military Preparation Course (MPC) learners who will be able to share their experiences as a learner on the course and how they are finding MPC beneficial in starting their dream career in the forces.
We will be on stand number 29, almost opposite Golden Grid, so come and see us for more information about the Military Preparation Course.
SCARBOROUGH’S 11TH ARMED FORCES DAY
When: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Location: Scarborough Foreshore Road
Join us for the 11th Scarborough Armed Forces Day where we will be showing our appreciation and thanks to the British Armed Forces – past, present and future. This year we are honoured to be hosting and celebrating the Centenary year of the Scarborough Sea Cadets Centenary.
|10.00**||Welcome by the Town Crier|
|10.05||Scandinavian Marching Bands Parade step off from Foreshore to play at Luna Park|
|11.30**||RAF BBMF Spitfire Display from RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire|
|12.00 -13.00||Civic opening led by the Yorkshire Volunteers BandPresentations to Scarborough Sea Cadets and Veterans Badges with citations
Scarborough Sea Cadets Centenary Parade and Salute
|13.15||RAF Tucano Display by 72 Squadron, RAF Linton on Ouse|
|14.00||Calidus Autogyro Display by Pilot Peter Davies, former winner of “Around the World Air Race”|
|14.30**||Scarborough Sea Cadets Centenary Double Gun Run Challengeagainst Northampton Sea Cadets|
|15.00||RNLI Display Manoeuvres in South bay|
|16.00||RAF Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 Display with Flight Lieutenant Jim Peterson of 29 Squadron, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire|
|16.20||Standards, Veterans & Cadets Parade led by QOY WMIK and the Yorkshire Volunteers Band|
|16.30**||Review of Parade at the Formal AreaPresentation of AFD Flag to Veteran with citation
Service of Thanksgiving led by Revd Richard Walker and Revd Pam Jennings
|17.00**||“Three Cheers” for the Armed Forces|
** = Mortar gun firing from West Pier
Sandside will create a nostalgic walk down memory lane dedicated to WW2/1940’s:
- A vintage market brought to you by AdVINTAGEous (Fairs & Events)
- To create a nostalgic atmosphere there will be musical entertainment by the Scarborough Fair Collection cinema organ and Yorkshire Volunteers Band
- A range of vintage military vehicles on display
- Performance area for the local cadet forces to exhibit various activities
West Pier exhibiters include:
- How to be involved next year when Scarborough host the National Armed Forces Day in 2020
- Barnsley Airborne Comrade Association – ex Paras equipment, firing range, parachute and uniforms and watch the mortar gun firing**
- Eden Camp – featuring a tribute to the crew of HMT Almond used by the Royal Naval Patrol Service during World War Two. The Almond had a local connection with Scarborough in that three of her crew came from the town.
Foreshore will house military recruitment and welfare associations’ exhibiters and St Nicholas Gardens will act as the Formal area where activities include:
- A formal opening and welcoming address by the Mayor of the Borough of Scarborough
- Double Gun Run Challenge – Scarborough Sea Cadets against Northampton Sea Cadets
- Standards, Veterans and Cadets Parade led by the Band of the Yorkshire Volunteers
- Presentation (with citation) of AFD flag to a Veteran
- Service of Thanksgiving led by Revd. Richard Walker, Vicar of Scarborough
- Exhortation, Last Post, One Minute Silence, Reveille, Kohima Epitaph