The achievements and successes of more than 300 learners and apprentices have been celebrated at the annual YH Training Services Presentation Evening.
The event, held at the Crown Spa Hotel, formally recognised students from Scarborough and its surrounding area who completed nationally recognised qualifications in the last 12 months at the YH training centre, based in Falsgrave Road.
In addition a further 29 learners successfully completed the YH Military Preparation Course, of which 90 per cent successfully achieved their goal of joining the Armed Forces.
The evening was opened by Frank McMahon, managing director of YH Training Services together with the mayor of Scarborough, Cllr Helen Mallory. Cllr Mallory said she was thrilled to be at such an important event recognising the skills and achievements of so many people and employers. In her opening speech she stressed that qualifications “should be looked upon as keys and that we should all remember, the more keys you have, the more doors you can unlock”.
After the presentations were completed, the Mayor spent time talking to the Apprentices and their employers about the benefits gained by both parties by undertaking their qualifications.
Winners of individual Awards for Outstanding Achievement were:
- Military Preparation Course Achiever of the Year – Charlotte Raistick who starts with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in June.
- AAT Accountancy, The Paul Midgely Award for Outstanding Achievement – Kimberley Walston who works at Pinkney Grunwell Solicitors
- Business Administration – Jenna Webster who works for AGE UK
- Customer Service – Ellie Skingle who works at the Crown Spa Hotel
- ITQ – Denise Loomans
- Retail – Louise Raw who works at Whitby Jet
- Sales – Kinza Leake from the Crown Spa Hotel
- Management – Alice Lekenby from Belgrave Surgery
- Function Skills In Maths or English – Shaun Cuthbertson
- Employability and Personal Development – Carole Hornby
- Foundation Learning – James Willson who is now looking to move onto an Apprenticeship in Plastering
- Pre Apprenticeship – Karl Goulding now employed at Harris Bell Estate Agents
A cap and gown presentation of Certificates was also held for the following people who achieved their Level 4 AAT Accountancy – Jonathan Halkyard, Ruth Smith and Angel Thompson.